On 12/14/09 16:56 , "Jay A. Kreibich" <j...@kreibi.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:41:04AM +0100, Jean-Denis Muys scratched on the
> wall:
>>
>> So Jay, what you are saying is that SQLite doesn't have to provide bug-free
>> features when those features are optional?

[snip]
>   So, yes, I'm saying, and consider it acceptable, that the SQLite team
>   does not have to provide bug-free features when those features are
>   optional-- at least if they state the fact that the features are
>   optional and unsupported.  That is, in effect, what "unsupported"
>   means.

Ok, I think I get your position better, and I agree with it, about
unsupported features.

So the question is not so much whether readline support is optional, than
whether it's supported or not. (I don't know).

Regarding Alexei's request, would their be any downside to the addition of
the single line he submitted?

If not, then, rather than a bug fix, it could be considered an improvement.

What I'm getting at is that I've seen arguments that the requested addition
might in some (many?, most?) cases not be necessary, but not that it would
be harmful. So would it?

If no harm is expected, beside some changes to an optional, unsupported
feature, then perhaps it should be considered. The fact that the shell is
out of the main library should possibly make it easier to improve without
going through an extensive process.

Jean-Denis