On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:08 PM, jflaming <jay.flam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm new to SQLITE.
> I'm trying to update a series of text entries for book titles that were
> entered with underscores.  I want to convert them to spaces.
> I can run the query:
>
> select replace(title, '_', ' ') from books;
>
> and see the output I'm looking for, but if I try to do an update query and
> actually perform the change:
>
> update books set title = replace(title, '_', ' ');
>
> it fails with this error:
> Query Error: no such function: title_sort Unable to execute statement
>
> I'm sure I'm missing something simple here, but it's driving me crazy... any
> ideas?

One important thing you are missing is that you are not telling us how
you are selecting and updating. Are you using the command line,
another program, a programming language... and, which version of
sqlite on which platform? Works for me... this is what I get on my
Macbook

SQLite version 3.6.19
Enter ".help" for instructions
Enter SQL statements terminated with a ";"
sqlite> CREATE TABLE books (title TEXT);
sqlite> INSERT INTO books VALUES ('a_book');
sqlite> INSERT INTO books VALUES ('another_book');
sqlite> SELECT * FROM books;
title
----------
a_book
another_bo
sqlite> SELECT Replace(title, '_', ' ') FROM books;
Replace(title, '_', ' ')
------------------------
a book
another book
sqlite> UPDATE books SET title = Replace(title, '_', ' ');
sqlite> SELECT * FROM books;
title
a book
another bo