I stumbled onto this this week end and I eventually got it working by
providing the proper location of include and library files to the
CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS environment variables (by default sqlite will
find the Mac OS X version of readline -- which is old -- and stick to
it...)

e.g: If you installed in /usr/local:
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" ./configure

Simon.