I have that problem.  A solution is an ultra lite SQLite window to
play along side existing spread sheet packages. Then just get read and
write to the spreadsheet happening.

 I did that simply with R; I reasoned Windows was smart enough to
handle files, so I just read and write files netween SQLite and  R.
It should be just as simple with any good  spreadsheet.