On 27 May 2010, at 2:15am, jdee5 wrote:

> hanks for your reply.  I have read through the link you suggested, very
> helpful...if I may ask another question concerning this.  Say on my
> application I have 2 users reading some of the database contents at the same
> time and they both log something in my application at the same time.

By 'log something' I assume you mean they are making changes to the same
database they are both reading.

> For
> example say they want to both review different customer accounts and add a
> payment to the different customer accounts.  Would there be a delay with
> both of those when using SQLite, if so would it be significant?

This is impossible to say because it depends on your network setup and how your
application works, but purely as a guess, one user would see no delay at all
and the other would see one of less than half a second.

> Can I use SQLite this way have my application stored on the server and allow
> users on a LAN/peer to peer have the ability to open my app and write to it
> at the same time?

SQLite does not care (or even know) where your application is stored.  It does
care where the file that holds the database is stored (the one you called in
your '_open' command) and needs to deal correctly with whatever networking (p2p
is fine) you are using.  I would guess you are intending to write a Windows
application so you need to be sure that your Windows network resource supports
file locking correctly.

> does this type of multi user access often corrupt the
> database?

The page I pointed to has a section called something like 'How to corrupt your
database'.  Don't do those things.  If you do manage to find a bug that hasn't
been fixed yet (unlikely but not impossible), please tell us because the clever
people here will pounce on it and fix it.

> If my database does become corrupt how can I repair it.

One common way is to use the sqlite3 command-line program to dump your entire
database as one big text file full of SQL commands, then to use those commands
to create another database.  Sometimes corruption can be fixed just by remaking
your indexes.  It depends what went wrong.

As a responsible supplier you will, of course, be making sure your customer
knows to take backups of your database occasionally.

Simon.