On 6/9/10 13:55 , "Navaneeth Sen B" <navanee...@tataelxsi.co.in> wrote:

> Thanks Simon.
>
> Hi Jean,
> I dint understand the below given statement. Could you please explain
> this to me?
>> possibility for the user to tamper with the files behind your
>> application's back (though if you are using SQLite, s/he can do so in the
>> monolithic case as well).

What I mean is that the user can manipulate the video file herself, rather
than letting your application do it. Depending on the said user action, your
application might then misbehave, unless it's programmed defensively (which
is always a good idea).

Examples could be:

1- the user deletes the video file. Your database then contains a dangling
reference. You as the programmer must be sure the be ready to handle a
missing file situation.

2- different action, same result: the user put off line the hard disk with
some video file(s). The file is missing to the application, and the
reference is dangling.

3- the user edits the video file on its own with a movie editor. Your
application sees the file, but it's been changed. For example, its duration
is now different. If you store and use the duration, your application must
be ready to have an out of date duration.

4- the user moves or renames a video file. Good OS'es have file reference
that don't care about those user actions. They will still point to the
correct file even after it's moved/renamed (even to a different volume). But
you might not be running on such an OS. In that case, your application will
see this situation as a missing media file.

5- The user moved the database from her office machine to her laptop, but
forgot to copy the media file as well. Again, your app will now face massive
missing media files.

Note: it's possible for the app to differentiate between the different file
missing situations, and possibly to act differently (at least in how it
alerts the user and suggest a correction).

I hope that clarified the point.

Jean-Denis