On 25 Jun 2010, at 1:01pm, Nilesh SIMARIA wrote:

> I have a query about 'SELECT' query's performance when we have one huge
> table vs. multiple small tables.
>
> Basically in our application, we need to run select query multiple times and
> today we have one huge table. Do you guys think breaking them into
> multiple small tables will help ?

Probably not.  It's usually better to use one huge table.

> For test purposes we tried creating multiple tables but performance of
> 'select' query was more or less same.
>
> Note :- We already have indexing in place.

I just want to check because this is a specialty of mine: do you perhaps mean
that you have indexed all the fields individually ?  Because that's a common
mistake and it's a huge waste of time and space.  There is one particular INDEX
which is ideal for each SELECT and SQL will use a maximum of one INDEX for each
simple SELECT command.  If you show us your SELECT command I can take a guess
at an INDEX which will suit it best.

Simon.