On 9/26/2009 10:17 PM, John wrote:
> I have "The Definitive Guide to SQLite" and it has jump
> started me with databases. (the index could stand a lot
> of improvement though).
>
> I am looking for a "quick start" example of the normalization
> case where one table has an index into another table of
> unique values. The book has an example, but they seem to leave
> it to the user to figure out the sql of creating and populating
> two such tables in a real live case. At least it isn't clear to
> me yet from the book. With what I know, I could probably do this
> in a very pedestrian manner now, but I'm sure there are elegant
> ways that have emerged from experience that I don't have yet.
>
> I just downloaded the sql for the book, but I think that will
> be the hard way to learn this. I assume this will be covered in
> many books on sql, not just sqlite, but I'm new to programming
> databases and could use a pointer to a clear example of it.
>
> Is there a good guide or example of this on line somewhere?
>
> Thanks!!!

Nine months later, I found the answer my question above, now that
I know how to do what I need to do, and have a better understanding
of nomenclature.

First, the 2006 version of "The Definitive Guide to SQLite" tells
me : "Foreign Keys are the foundation of referential integrity
in relational databases. While SQLite parses them, it currently
does not have support for foreign keys". p. 13.

This jumped out at me now that I have a working example of what
I wanted to do, but with OpenOffice's base.

This means that that version of SQLite had no support for what I
was asking. Therefore it was impossible to do what I was asking
it to do. It does continue "foreign key support is estimated
to be completed by sometime in 2006". But there has been no new
edition of this book. I just looked on Amazon, and a new book,
not released yet from O'Reilly titled "Using SQLite" can be
preordered.

I don't know if SQLite now supports foreign keys yet or not.

But my need for a GUI database surfaced again a month or so ago.
I discovered that OpenOffice now has "base" which is a young
but completely adequate database implementation, (foreign
keys, complex foreign keys, and the required constraints all
work) complete with nearly all OpenOffice GUI format ability
for Forms and Reports. Just what I need.

And I found a very good example of a full practical example to
the solution of the problem I was asking about 9 months ago at:

http://tinyurl.com/384thuh

but for OpenOffice base, and with examples of constructing
not only the foreign key table relationships with SQL or
the Wizards, but a step by step example of creating GUI Forms
and Reports.

I have learned the lessons I needed 9 months ago, and am now
where I needed to be back then but with OpenOffice base.

I highly recommend the base Mid Level Tutorial for Base at
the link above, in 3 parts. The SQL example I needed to
learn from is in Part III of this very helpful tutorial.

I post this in the hope that it may help others.

John