On 6/25/2010 10:51 PM, Simon Slavin wrote:

> On 26 Jun 2010, at 3:47am, John wrote:
>
>> I don't know if SQLite now supports foreign keys yet or not.
>
> So you're posting to a mailing list you don't read ?

I read this! ;-)

Actually, I did do one project early this year with SQLite and
had high hopes for using it. The project just stored a couple of
tables that did not need to have relationships. I used Bourne
Shell scripting and all worked well because I just needed to run
scripts that handled the database. Now I have need of a GUI
because I need to train others to easily input and output
from a GUI. There is no hope of ever training them to use
the Bourne Shell scripts. And the set of tables require foreign keys
for proper normalization.

Anyway, the example I point to in my message explains from
soup to nuts the design of such tables and the SQL to generate
them. This is what I tried to extract here 9 months ago, so
I thought updating with the answer I found would be useful
to novices at the level I was 9 months ago.

I guess I'll have to wait for the Amazon book to be published
to find if SQLite can handle such database design yet. Then
again, my current needs require GUI input and reports and
don't need an API. I guess some day there will be an Open
Source Database program that does all of this "out of the box"
and well, and not require "companion" software packages that
one must also master. I hope Oracle doesn't/can't kill
OpenOffice development.

John