Kees Nuyt wrote:

> You could add a "deleted" column with value range (0,1) and
> create an index on it if benchmarks show that makes it
> faster. As a bonus it is easier to code and maintain than a
> separate table with references and triggers.
>
> Alternatively, you can create an composite index with the
> "deleted" column as one of the components.
>
> From a theoretical view, if you care about the visibility of
> a row, you should express it as an attribute of the entity.
> The solutions above comply with that notion.

I think you misunderstand what I want.

I don't care about keeping the row around after it is deleted.  I don't
care about visibility.

I only want to find rows quickly in order to delete them.

--
Eric A. Smith

Bowlikinetics (boh lih kih neh' tiks), n.:
    The act of trying to control a released bowling ball
    by twisting one's body in the direction one wants it to go.