On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Marc <cpm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have an application that runs under windows that use sqlite to store
> data. Our application do a pragma integrity_check every time It's launched.
>
> One of our users have our application with a database of 180 Mb and It
> takes
> about 6 minutes to complete a Pragma integrity_check the first time that
> our
> application is launched after reboot computer. Is it normal that takes so
> much time to complete the Pragma integrity check ? The application during
> the pragma integrity_check do an intensive use of hard disk. Then if the
> user launches the application another times without rebooting computer It
> only tooks 8 seconds to complete the prama integrity_check and It don't use
> the hard disk. We supose that the other times the database it's cached, but
> it's a lot of difference between 6 minutes the first time we launched the
> application and 8 seconds takes to completer after the first launch of our
> application.
>
> And another is it recommended to do a pragma integrity check every time
> that
> our applications is launched?

PRAGMA integrity_check is only recommended after a hard crash - that is to
say an operating system lock-up or a power loss.  Your application crashing
is not sufficient grounds for an integrity_check.

If hard-disks worked as advertised, then no integrity_check would be
required even following a power loss or OS crash.  But consumer-grade
hard-disks cut corner to save cost, fail to honor requests to flush content
to oxide, and end up losing data following a power loss.  There is nothing
we can do about this in software.  It is a hardware bug.  More recent and
larger hard disks are worse about this than older and slower ones.

You can run PRAGMA quick_check as an alternative to PRAGMA integrity_check.
It is a little faster, but does not do as thorough of a check of the
database file.

> Thanks

D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org