> but I am wondering if there is any
> (somewhat) easy way to get direct fd access and maintain asyncronicity without
> threads.

How do you see it's possible? Even if we assume that all files were
opened in async mode and only aio functions were used what would that
mean? You are calling sqlite3_step to change some data, SQLite calls
aio functions to write all changed database pages to disk, then what?
sqlite3_step returns and you continue to do something even though
transaction is not committed yet? When and how should SQLite call
fsync to ensure that journal is on the disk, to ensure that all
changed database pages are on the disk? If you don't care about that
just execute 'pragma synchronous = off' and your OS kernel will do
async writes to disk for you without any user-space threads and
without any changes to SQLite code base.

Pavel