On 27 Apr 2011, at 1:24pm, Paul Linehan wrote:

> I know this - what I want to do is implement a sharding scheme myself
> with a queueing system and run it as a service on the different machines.
> These services will then communicate the result of any query back
> to the master server -> web server -> client. [snip]

So you're just using SQLite as a back end and implementing the high-tech stuff
yourself ?  That sounds like an interesting project and SQLite should be a good
way to do it.

> I'm doing this for my Java as much as anything else, so the platform
> must support that too, which is fine for Linux, *BSD and Windows.

SQLite is just C code.  There are Java wrappers for it, but they are not part
of SQLite itself.  So you can pick one, or write a minimal wrapper yourself
which is custom-designed for exactly your purpose.  But the fact that nobody
here has posted to recommend a particular Java wrapper is a little ominous.
Fortunately I've never written a serious Java program myself so I have no
comment.

Simon.