On 23 Oct 2011, at 2:47pm, Bo Peng wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Black, Michael (IS)
> <michael.bla...@ngc.com> wrote:
>> #1 What's the size of your database?
>
> 288G, 5000 table, each with ~1.4 million records

Worth adding here Bo's original post:

On 22 Oct 2011, at 8:52pm, Bo Peng wrote:

> I needed to get some summary statistics of each table but
> find that it will take days to run 'SELECT count(*) FROM table_XX'
> (XX=1,...,5000) sequentially.

It seems that this was the first problem he found with the way he arranged this
database.  But our solution to it would be different depending on whether he
wanted to do this just the once, or it was a regular requirement.

With this structure I might use TRIGGERs to keep track of the number of rows in
each table.  But Bo might want more than count(*).  But TRIGGERs could be used
to keep track of a total too.

Simon.