I have a column with a normal INDEX, and I would like to turn it into an
UNIQUE index, but I'm a bit worried about the performance implications for
inserts. Can someone give some insight into how UNIQUE is implemented in
SQLite, does it create extra tables compared to a normale index, are there
many extra checks?

And a related question: I need to insert 1 million rows, and currently I
create the INDEX afterwards, because that should be faster. I cannot create
the UNIQUE INDEX afterwards, because there's a slight possibility there will
be 1 or 2 duplicates, which will make the creation fail. I now have the
possibility to specify UNIQUE upfront (in the TABLE definition) or manually
filter out any doubles before the insert (which will also take CPU time).
Would there be any advantage doing this manually, or will SQLite do it just
as efficiently?