On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Stephan Beal <sgb...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> about undefined behaviour is true in that case, but i am 100% convinced
> that i've seen that usage cause problems before. Perhaps it was the
> compiler in question  (one of the MSVC variants) which made the behaviour
> undefined, as opposed to be a violation of the standard.

After reading up on this a bit, and finding the old email thread, i'm 99%
certain that the behaviour is (as you say) well-defined vis-a-vis the
standard. The crash my friend was seeing at the time may have been
compiler-specific or a side-effect of the specific implementation of the
debug macro he was using in conjunction with the c_str() return value.

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/