Sorry for my late reply, I look into mailing lists only once every few
weeks or when I'm posting something.

On 27.10.2011 18:29 CE(S)T, Nico Williams wrote:
> then setup a forum interface to the mailing list

Then please take good care to use a frontend that uses compatible markup
formatting (or none at all, which would not be as appealing) as e-mail
programmes do. Otherwise you'll end up with stuff like BBCode in e-mails.

>> + Easy access, no setup (subscription, rules etc.)
>
> The same is true of the list.  You do not have to subscribe to read
> it, and it could be made to allow posts by non-subscribers, to to have
> subscribers that don't get copies of the e-mails.

Huh? Subscribers don't get e-mails from non-subscribers?

Anyway, if you want to participate in a mailing list without
subscription, you need a decent web frontend, which a forum is and a
mailing list archive is usually not at all.

> Anyways, you have to register to post on a forum, and that's not
> terribly different from subscribing to a list.

You could still use things like OpenID (or some other external
authentication, say Facebook, just to name one) to make that process
seamless and really easy.

>> + Easily searchable archive with modern and usable UI
>
> Same is true of a mailing list.  But mailing lists are even easier to
> search because you can use your favorite MUA's search capabilities if
> you like *in addition to* your favorite web search engine and your
> favorite mail archive web interface (gmane, ...).

You can only search so far as your subscription reaches back. For
newcomers, this is absolutely useless.

But I personally am already used to not using any kind of site search,
like in forums, mailing lists or bug trackers. If Google doesn't find
it, it's not there, nor is anything similar-written. That seems to be
the most effective solution.

>> + Post editing and moderation support (if someone messed it up)
>>  -> Allows to correct thread hijacking or wrong subject
>
> I don't care.

So you don't care about threading? Really? Why do *you* use it then? If
somebody hijacks my thread, I always see new posts in that thread
although they're not for my problem. That sucks.

>> + Solid threading support (not every MUA can do it well)
>
> Get an MUA that works right then.

Tell that users of a cheap free web mailer or Windows Mail (f.k.a.
Outlook Express).

>> + URL to any content, directly from the primary UI
>
> The list software could be made to include a URL for every message
> posted in that same message (that'd be nice).

Cool, that's the first time I hear that's possible. :-)

>> + Optional source code syntax highlighting
>
> And XSS attack vectors?  No thanks.

XSS is JavaScript. Syntax Highlighting is CSS. Different things. You can
do about anything without JavaScript, it just adds a lot of comfort.

>> + Less traffic in your mailbox, you only read what you want
>
> Use filters, or separate accounts for lists, ...

That's what *I* do. But how many do it? I imagine there's a lot of
people who are interested in SQLite but not in professional (traditional
internet wise, not in an enterprise where Outlook is used, which is not
a decent MUA in that sense) mail management and processing, which can
get just as complex. Just because you know how to do it "right", that
doesn't mean everybody does. I have the impression that quite some
mailing list defenders are a bit selfish in that regard.

>> + No publicly published e-mail address (spam etc.)
>
> Forums get forum spam.  They also tend to come with ads.

Tend is something the forum admin can control. And forum spam can be
deleted later, mailing list spam (or e-mail spam) not.

--
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <nospam.l...@unclassified.de>