My database needs or wants are simple at the present time. When I wrote my main app that is shareware I couldn't quite figure out the data base stuff and I also was worried someone would just steal my data base and use it to form a competing product. The password with Access seemed easy to break if you Googled it. So I hard coded my data into the app but that made it a bunch of extra work to add new items in the proper order that was necessary as there were multiple fields. As I rewrite the app, the main reason for all this upgrading, I will surely come up with new situations and challenges. Simple things come to mind like allowing the end user to change the data, but if they muck it up, allow them to get back to the default data base. My app deals with formulas that require accuracy and hard coding data preserves that.

The another reason I stayed away from .NET as I read how easy it was for people to steal your hard work. I read about Obfuscation and it seemed like it may or may not work all that good, but it looks like that is all we have so I have to trust it. Visual Studio Pro comes with a standard or basis Obfuscator but I have found other ones for free and some costing in the thousands.

Dave

On 11/29/2011 6:17 AM, Black, Michael (IS) wrote:
I'll note a few things here...

#1 If you want to learn about "database design" or "how to code in language X"
get a book on those and not on a particular product (you may want the product book too if you need
it but those tend to be less helpful).

#2 Your first language will be hard to get "out of".  I've done over 60
languages now and C# is one of only a few that I was impressed with and worth the trouble
to learn.  Ada was the other one (but for completely different reasons).  I still prefer
C though C++ can be more helpful at times (advanced data structures).

#3 This list is probably one of the best learning things you can do that doesn't take "study
time".  When somebody poses a problem try to solve it yourself without seeing the
"answer" that inevitably comes up here.  One of the better ways of learning is doing.

Michael D. Black

Senior Scientist

Advanced Analytics Directorate

Advanced GEOINT Solutions Operating Unit

Northrop Grumman Information Systems