On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Yahoo <bossco...@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I’m Brazilian, also, Android Dev.
>
> I’m in a struggle with Sqlite and accented chars such as ‘á’ or ‘é’.
>
> What I’m trying to do is a select with where accent insensitive.
>
> For months I have having research over and over the internet to accomplish
> that, but, unfortunately unsuccessful.
>

> What I need is something like this:
>
> select * from table where column like ‘a%’
>
> and result be:
>
> agora
>
> água
>
> através
>
> and so on

There is a file in the latest source tree named "test_spellfix1.c" which
includes an application-defined SQL function named
"spellfix1_translit(X)".  See
http://www.sqlite.org/src/artifact/495535f3eb57a?ln=1152-1171 for the
implementation.  The spellfix1_translit(X) function attempts to convert its
input string X into a pure ASCII transliteration.  In other words, it
removes the accented characters, replacing them with ASCII equivalents.
Example:

      SELECT spellfix1_translit('água');     -- returns agua

You could, perhaps, add such a function to your application, then use it to
accomplish what you describe above:

      SELECT * FROM table WHERE spellfix1_tanslit(column) LIKE 'a%';

Note that spellfix1 is not currently a part of any build and is
unsupported.  But you can use it as a guide to your own implementation.

> It’s possible? Or better to commit suicide ;-)
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> You’re all aces in my book.

D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org