On the support page http://www.sqlite.org/howtocompile.html, it says:

    "The use of the amalgamation is recommended for all applications."

Is this a general recommendation, to use the amalgamated source file
as the preferred way of including SQLite functionality in one's
application, rather than using a separately compiled library?

Or should I read this as a recommendation just in case I need to
compile SQLite from source, and need to decide between using the
amalgamation or using the individual source files?

From the context of the recommendation, one can clearly infer that it addresses only how SQLite source is presented to the compiler. Whether the compiler's output is embedded in its own object file, a DLL, or directly into a calling program is not addressed.

--
Larry Brasfield