Roger Binns wrote:

On 31/10/12 07:27, Jonas Malaco Filho wrote:
Maybe there could be a strict switch.
There is a ticket for a "lint" mode that would help catch common issues
where there are possibly problems.  This is another example of something
appropriate for it to catch (always an explicit AS).  Earlier message and
link:

    http://goo.gl/2ycor

The optionality of "AS" when aliasing column names is not strange. If I am not mistaken, Postgresql (as pointed out by Richard Hipp), MS SQL Server, and Oracle do not require an "AS" here. Oracle may not even allow it.

It seems to me that a "lint mode" would be better off catching JOIN without an ON constraint. Sqlite converts these to CROSS JOIN. This is the innovation on Sqlite's part that accounted for the unintended interpretation of:

sqlite> select natral.* from a natral join b;

At least, I am not aware of other DBMs doing this. (Haven't researched it though.)

regards,

Mark