Thank Igor
Again...your solution works a treat...

Re my confusion...please contrast these two which both work
i.e.
order by (f.nexttime is null or f.nexttime=''), coalesce(f.nexttime, ''),
f.lastdate
vs
order by (case
    when nexttime is not null then 0
    when lasttime is not null then 1
    else 2 end), nexttime, lasttime

You are of course correct re my requirement
i.e. Allow me to quote: "order results firstly by earlest *non-null/empty
string* next time"

Given this I fully understand Ordering by that which I require i.e.
non-null...non empty string and the latter of the above does precisely that
i.e. when nexttime is not null then 0... and... when lasttime is not null
BY CONTRAST the first query SEEMS TO MY NAIVE EYE to contradict my
requirement of not null i.e.
ORDER BY f.nexttime IS NULL

I HOPE THIS EXPLAINS MY CONFUSION
AS STATED BOTH WORK
IT'S JUST THAT THE FIRST ONE SEEMS COUNTER INTUITIVE
AND I'D LIKE TO UNDERSTAND THIS

BTW NULL = CHR$(0) vs '' = '' YES???