On 29.03.2013 19:42, Jeff Archer wrote:
From: "James K. Lowden" <jklow...@schemamania.org>
To: sqlite-users@sqlite.org

Your experiment is telling you different: transaction control costs more
than I/O.
But shouldn't transactions be disabled when journal_mode = off?  Maybe that
is a faulty assumption.  If so, what is the point of journal_mode = off?
For this purpose, I am very happy to give all the ACID promises.

If I understand your point #2, I think you are saying that all of the
inserts within a single transaction are not written to the disk (database
or journal) until the transaction is committed.  But that can't quite be
the answer because if kept my transaction open long enough I would simple
run out of memory and that doesn't seem to happen even when I have 1
million plus inserts.

If you keep your transaction open look at the database file size you'll see that the changes aren't written to the File until you commit to disk.

1 Million records are to few for modern systems to reach the out of memory limit. Lets say your records have 1 k size that would make 1G of Memory with overhead and virtual memory why would you expect out of memory ???