Unfortunately this does not help :-(

It may have still something to do with WAL.
Before I run the VACUUM the WAL file is quite small.
After the VACUUM has completed, it is about 20 MB - about the same size as
the properly compacted database would be.
But when I run a pragma wal_checkpoint; the WAL file does not shrink and
neither the database.
When I close the database, the WAL is deleted but the database remains at
120 MB.

Running a vacuum with the sqlite3 command line utility afterwards shrinks
the database to 20 MB.

There must be some kind of condition or lock or whatever in my app which
prevents the vacuum to work properly.
It returns success and the WAL file grows, but the database size is not
reduced. I must be missing a step....