On 8 Sep 2014, at 1:35pm, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

> See the essay at:
>
>   http://www.sqlite.org/affcase1.html

You would need to provide some short and simple 'viewer' code which can be used
to extract a 'Quick View' or 'Thumbnail' file from the database, so the GUI
Shell can show it to the user when they're browsing files.  Generally speaking
you never modify just a single file in such a document because you need to
modify the thumbnail file when any change is made to the content.

Given that SQLite code is public anyway, and this would need no writing and no
locking, it wouldn't be hard, but it would need to be done.

Also I doubt your compression figures are accurate for big files.  A typical
.docx document on my computer is 32K long but expands to 87K unzipped plus 576K
for the 'Quick View' file.  But I don't have to time to look into this in
detail.

Simon.