Paul Bainter wrote:

> SQLite is a great database, but I've had nothing but problems deploying it
> to a clean machine. There is supposed to be nothing extra to do when
moving
> the files from the bin directory to the target machine, but then I hear
> rumblings about an unknown missing C++ redistribution package that may
need
> to be added.

Are you deploying the pre-built binaries?  For the native (and mixed-mode)
binaries, the MSVC runtime is required.  It can either be linked statically
(which is the case for the native binaries in the System.Data.SQLite NuGet
packages) or dynamically, which is the case for the other System.Data.SQLite
packages.  However, the MSVC runtime library, in one form or another, is
always required when dealing with native C/C++ binaries produced via MSVC.

> All my deployment problems must be something that I'm doing or not doing.

How exactly are you deploying System.Data.SQLite?

> Since I need to use Entity Framework, I started off by installing
> sqlite-netFx451-setup-bundle-x86-2013-1.0.92.0.exe.

The setup package is only required if you need design-time support for the
Entity Framework (wizard) or the other design-time components (e.g. the
table designer).  Also, I do not think that release 1.0.92.0 supports EF6
at design-time due to several integration issues that were recently fixed.

> Since the deployment has been such a nightmare, I looked around and saw
> some instructions on using the NuGet package.

I've tried very hard to make the deployment as easy as possible.  If there
are specific issues with it, I would love to address them.  Please tell me
how I can improve it.

> I installed the Nuget package, and that pretty much corrupted my project
> and maybe my Visual Studio installation, so I've decided to start fresh.

I honestly have no idea how such corruption could occur.  I've installed
both
the NuGet packages and the setup packages on several different machines
here,
including ones running Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8, without any
issues.
In particular, the setup packages go to extraordinary lengths to prevent
exactly
the type of corruption you are referring to.  Can you provide any further
detail
on this?  Do you have the setup log files?  They are quite extensive and
could
provide some valuable clues.

> It would be tremendously helpful if you could point me in the correct
> direction for installing SQLite into my Visual Studio 2013 installation.

First, you should consider using the 1.0.94.0 pre-release package, as the
EF6
design-time integration issues should be corrected by it.

> There seems to be so many pieces and different instructions that I'm
confused.

The official guidelines and instructions are on the System.Data.SQLite web
site, primarily on the download page:

https://system.data.sqlite.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/downloads.wiki

For design-time support for EF6 in Visual Studio 2013, you will want to
install
the setup package for Visual Studio 2013 follwed by the "System.Data.SQLite"
NuGet package.  The 1.0.94.0 version is undergoing final testing and is
about
to be released.  Pre-release downloads for it are available at:

https://system.data.sqlite.org/index.html/doc/preRelease/www/downloads.wiki

In your case, you will probably want the following files:

1. sqlite-netFx451-setup-bundle-x86-2013-1.0.94.0.exe -- VS 2013 setup
package

2. http://nuget.org/api/v2/package/System.Data.SQLite.Test/1.0.94.1 -- NuGet
package

The above package is the "System.Data.SQLite.Test" package because it is a
pre-release.  Normally, you should use the "System.Data.SQLite" package.

> Do I use the sqlite-net bundle (maybe I'm using the wrong one) to install,
> or do I use NuGet or perhaps both?

The "sqlite-net" bundle is a third-party package.  I have no idea what it
contains.  The complete list of System.Data.SQLite packages (including those
available via NuGet) is listed at:

https://system.data.sqlite.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/downloads.wiki

> It would seem that using the NuGet package would be best, but when I
install
> the NuGet package into a clean environment (yes I've done this several
times),
> it's never compatible with Entity Framework, or maybe I'm implementing it
> incorrectly.

The Entity Framework project has released several versions during the course
of the System.Data.SQLite support for it.  Apparently, for the design-time
components to work, the versions may need to match up exactly?  I'm not 100%
sure about this.  Anyhow, the runtime support for EF6 does not appear to be
impacted by this issue.

> When using the NuGet package SQLite never comes up as a database option
for
> the ADO.net Entity Data Model.

Yes, this is some kind of issue with the design-time support for EF6.
Either
the System.Data.SQLite setup package is not installed or it is not matching
up with the version of the Entity Framework.  Hopefully, release 1.0.94.0
should work with Visual Studio 2013 as that scenario has been heavily
manually
tested.

> Please help me.  At this point, I'm desperate for an installation where I
> can copy the compiled files from the bin directory to a clean machine and
> have it run.

We want to help you.  When you say "have it run", are you talking about the
design-time support for EF6 or actual compiled .NET applications using the
System.Data.SQLite runtime assemblies?  Unfortunately, getting the
design-time
components to work correctly with 5 different versions of Visual Studio (and
large variety of operating system variations) is quite difficult.

--
Joe Mistachkin