On 19 Sep 2014, at 1:15am, Mark Halegua <phanto...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> that resolved it.  I didn't know you needed to put the desc with both columns.
>
> It means another table I had thought was properly ordered wasn't.
>
> Thank you.

You're welcome.  Glad you figured it out.

By the way I wanted to warn you about starting any project with first name,
middle name and last name fields.  This leads to problems, and I would go to
some lengths to avoid it if possible.  It would be better to provide two
columns:

name            (their name, however they want it to be shown)
nameInSortOrder (their name, in whatever order you feel it should be sorted)

For the second field your name might appear as "Halegua, Mark" and someone with
a middle name might appear as "Smith, Mark Edward".  The comma is needed
because some people have a surname which is two separate words, e.g. Patrick
Nielsen Hayden.  Given the way SQLite works you would want to declare the field
nameInSortOrder as having COLLATE NOCASE.

This is especially important if you are storing names which don't all have
Western-style 'given-name surname' format.  For instance, you may see these
words between the first and last parts of people's names: "bin", "ben", "ibn",
"bas", "bat", "O'", "al-", "de" "van de", "Fitz".  They"re not middle names.
They mean "son of" or "daughter of" or "from" or other things.  They should
definitely not be capitalised, except for "O'".  And you don't sort on them at
all.

Similarly, surnames beginning with 'Mac' or 'Mc' should not be sorted together,
not as if the name begins with the letters 'MAC'.  It's a convention that they
all be sorted at the beginning of the 'M' listings, ignoring the difference
between "Mc" and "Mac".

For a longer list of reasons, see this article:

<http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/>

and for those who like that, there's a similar

<http://www.mjt.me.uk/posts/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-addresses/>

Simon.