On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> On 19 Sep 2014, at 3:58pm, James K. Lowden <jklow...@schemamania.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 02:02:30 +0100
>> Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:
>>
>>> By the way I wanted to warn you about starting any project with first
>>> name, middle name and last name fields.  This leads to problems, and
>>> I would go to some lengths to avoid it if possible.  It would be
>>> better to provide two columns:
>>>
>>> name            (their name, however they want it to be shown)
>>> nameInSortOrder (their name, in whatever order you feel it should be
>>> sorted)
>>
>> I wonder what "problems" you're talking about.
>
> First, if you automatically generate letters, a letter to "Patrick Nielsen
> Hayden" is going to start "Dear Mr/Mrs Hayden". That's incorrect.  His
> surname is "Nielsen Hayden".  Similarly a letter to "Edward Fitz William"
> should be addressed "Dear Mr Fitz William".
>
> Then, if you sort the names into order, you're going to find "Patrick Nielsen
> Hayden" under H, whereas you should find him under N.

This is an interesting problem. Which the Unicode people addressed
with the "non-breaking space" character of U+00A0. Of course, entering
this particular space character is not as simple as just hitting the
space bar.

--
There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown