From: RSmith <rsm...@rsweb.co.za>
To: General Discussion of SQLite Database <sqlite-users@sqlite.org>
Sent: Mon, Dec 8, 2014 9:15 am
Subject: Re: [sqlite] sqlite bugreport : unique index causes valid updates to
fail

On 2014/12/08 15:58, Gwendal Roué wrote:
> I'm new to this mailing list, and I won't try to push my opinion, which is :
yes this is a bug, and this bug could be fixed
> without introducing any regression (since fixing it would cause failing code
to suddenly run, and this has never been a
> compatibility issue). Thank you all for your support and explanations. The
root cause has been found, and lies in the constraint
> checking algorithm of sqlite. I have been able to find a work around that is
good enough for me. Now the subject deserves a rest,
> until, maybe, someday, one sqlite maintainer who his not attached to the
constraint-checking algorithm fixes it. Have a nice day,
> Gwendal Roué

Your new-ness is irrelevant, if you have a worthy argument it deserves being
heard. To that end, let me just clarify that nobody was
saying the idea of deferring the constraint checking is invalid or ludicrous
(at
least I had no such intention) and you make a valid
point, especially since most other DB engines do work as you suggest - and this
will be fixed in SQLite4 I believe, where
backward-compatibility is not an issue.

The reason I (and others) will say it isn't a bug is because it isn't working
different than is intended, or more specifically, than
is documented. It works exactly like described - whether you or I agree with
that paradigm or not is up to discussion but does not
make it a "bug" as long as it works as described.

I hope the work-around you found works great!