I also see 48kbps in aac. This station used to stream 128kbps in mp3 for
years. Seems the issue has started recently with the stream format
change though other aac streams work fine. Could it be (bad) Tunein
metadata that LMS is tripping over?

I think it's the "playlist" they're pointing to: one item in there is not a stream, but the station's web site. LMS would pull this down, assuming it was either a stream or another playlist, then parse its content. In this case LMS is checking every single of more than a thousand lines in that file for its content type. And it does this over and over again, as it fails to find anything useful. I saw about 800k thousand attempts to figure out the content type during the time LMS was locked up...

There definitely is room for improvement.

--

Michael