Anyway, for now I am having fun with it.

Perfect!

The Squeezebox device itself is now continually prompting me to upgrade
the firmware to 7.9.0.

There is no 7.9.0 firmware. What kind of player are you using? There's a 7.8 firmware for the Touch, but Radio still is on some 7.7.x. The older players have a different versioning scheme. Classic is somewhere in the 130s? The others much lower.

I'd suggest you just let the update run when prompted.

For now, I am ignoring the notice. Just being
overly cautious, but in the event I do find I cant use 7.9.0 and need to
revert back to something earlier like 7.5.5 again, is there any issue
with having the updated firmware on the device itself while having an
earlier LMS version on your computer?

There's the "deferred touch to play" feature on Touch which requires recent versions on both ends.

I sure hope you won't need or want to go back to 7.5.5 :-). But I take it from your postings you don't want to update your system on a daily basis. In this case you should go to Settings/Advanced/Software Updates and disable the daily check and download of new software versions. 7.9 has not been released (though it's very stable - I'm just too lazy to bite the bullet), therefore there can be daily updates whenever I find time to work on it.

--

Michael