All,

I'm baffled and don't know what to do. I have an old SB Classic that
I've had for years.

Player Model: Squeezebox Classic
Player Type: squeezebox2
Firmware: 137
Player IP Address: 192.168.1.66
Player MAC Address: 00:04:20:09:05:4a

It's been connecting to LMS without issue for that entire time. It is
part of a 2-SB system, there is an SBRadio in the bedroom. The SBRadio
connects via WiFi, the SB Classic is wired to my ATTUverse router. The
Linux Kubuntu desktop on which the LMS runs is also wired to the
ATTUverse router.

Recently, in the past four weeks, playback on the wired SB2 is
interrupted by re-buffering (as the display shows). This re-buffering is
intermittent. Last night, for example, I listened to 2 hours of Sibelius
symphonic music without one rebuffer. Today, I loaded a playlist and the
SB2 re-buffered multiple times in the first 5 minutes. I have not
noticed re-buffering on the SBRadio using WiFi nor on a PiCorePlayer
using v2 of their release (currently unused).

Today's re-buffering is particularly aggravating as I have spend many
hours trouble-shooting what may be awry. This is not a Linux OS Kubuntu
system load thing. Top at a zsh shell prompt shows practically no load
and many gigabytes of RAM available. Typically I see something like
this:

top - 12:34:50 up 3 days, 17:39,  1 user,  load average: 0.04, 0.05,
0.03
Tasks: 180 total,   1 running, 179 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s):  0.1 us,  0.0 sy,  0.0 ni, 99.7 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.2 si,
0.0 st
KiB Mem : 12215068 total,   244300 free,   539568 used, 11431200
buff/cache
KiB Swap:  9765884 total,  9765884 free,        0 used. 11227496 avail
Mem

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+
COMMAND
9882 squeeze+  20   0  325280 213600  10416 S   0.7  1.7   0:06.67
squeezeboxserve

Also ... it seems relevant though I cannot find anything amiss anywhere
on the desktop to account for it ... the Default web UI is VERY slow.
Page loads are in the 15-second range. Interestingly UIs for Android
(SqueezeCommander) and IOS (iPeng) seems completely unaffected--just as
snappy and responsive as they've always been.

What I've done?

I have removed/purged LMS and all files/folders
Installed LMS 7.8, configured, and ... the rebuffering resumed.
Updated LMS to latest nightly build, currently 7.9.0 - 1479666929 ...
the rebuffering continues.

The Kubuntu system in use is always updated with packages as recommended
by Kubuntu as is LMS when new builds are released. Though the Kubuntu
desktop is a full install I actually rarely sit down and use it,
preferring to use an old laptop running LinuxMint (which I'm typing on
right now).

I don't see any setting that allows me to specify buffering options for
the LMS.

Agghh - the SB2 just re-buffered again :-/ And again. And again. That's
three times in 10 minutes, seven times in 50 minutes total over five
separate tracks.

Suggestions welcome.