itm wrote:
> Does anyone know if there's a major performance hit if you use a network
> storage device for your music?
>
> I run LMS 7.9.0 on a Windows 2008 Server Virtual Machine, running on an
> ESXi host. My music is stored on a 4TB NTFS-formatted SATA drive. I've
> tried connecting this drive to the ESXi host machine in a couple of ways
> (e.g. internally connected directly to the SATA controller, and
> externally in a USB enclosure), and mapping it using RDM, but the VM
> environment doesn't handle it well at all - the disk always becomes
> corrupt after a relatively short period of time. Probably a hardware
> compatibility issue between the drive (a WD Blue) and ESXi. Or maybe the
> size of the drive is a problem for ESXi.
>
> Anyway I'm now thinking of transplanting the drive to my Linux file
> server in the loft, and pointing LMS at it from the Windows VM
> downstairs, but wanted to get feedback on whether this is a good idea
> before I embark on the whole process.
>
> Any views?

Why not connect the SATA drive to the host as a VMFS datastore ?

A 4TB disk should be fine as a 4 (odd)TB datastore

*Players:* SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezePlayer,PiCorePlayer
x3,Wandboard
*Server:* LMS Version:  7.9.0 - 1475786002 on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6 on
Dell T320
*Plugins:* AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud
*Remotes:* iPeng8/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite
*Music:* 383GB,1269 albums 17756 songs 4381 artists mostly FLACs

*Want a webapp ?* See
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104305-Webapp-for-LMS