My setup is pretty similar and I’m quite happy about it.
It’s very flexible, especially if I want to set up a second server
instance for testing etc or when accessing the music from different
machines. My NAS also has RAID which makes handling disc faults and
upgrades easier.

The downside is that scans take longer but I don’t do these too often
and for everything else performance is normal, the music files are only
accessed for streaming, everything else runs in memory on the server
running LMS

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch*