Posting on this thread with additional information as I didn't get a
response in the other thread I opened, sorry for duplicating.

So this is what I have: Clean upgrade from v 7.8 to 7.9.1 (posted Jan
30th in the nightly builds), OS X High Sierra, latest Mac Mini model.
Most files in my lib are .flac with some mp3 and aac. Ripped from DVD or
CD files have a cover.jpg file in the same dir, files I've bought have
embedded artwork.

This is what I know: after several trials I've found that pre-caching
gets stuck on a consistent base in the same files. I don't believe the
artwork per se is corrupt as it was parsed without problem in v 7.8 and
I can either open the file just fine in my tagging program (for embedded
jpeg artwork) or in preview (for cover.jpg files). Server.log doesn't
seem to show anything suspicious and below are the lines from
scanner.log that show up right before the problem appears.

This is what I've tried: a Google search shows that this error has
happened in other projects (mostly linux ones, incidentally Logitech
cameras seem to be involved but I don't believe this relates to my
problem) and they seem to have something to do with libjpeg so I updated
libjpeg to the latest version using Homebrew to no avail. I've also
tried a couple of clean installs from same LMS .pkg.

Scanner.log error lines (everything above them seem to be ok):

Code:
--------------------
    [18-02-06 16:23:58.3337] Slim::Music::Artwork::__ANON__ (697) Pre-caching
artwork for Discovery from /Users/pingu/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Daft
Punk/Discovery/01 One More Time.m4a
  [18-02-06 16:23:58.3344] Audio::Scan::scan (75) Warning: Error: Unable to
read at least 16 bytes from file (only read 10).
  [18-02-06 16:23:58.3433] Slim::Music::Artwork::__ANON__ (697) Pre-caching
artwork for Back in Black from /Users/Shared/My Music/A-L/Back In Black/10 -
Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution.mp3
  [18-02-06 16:23:58.3442] Image::Scale::new (44) Warning: Image::Scale libjpeg
error: Corrupt JPEG data: 45 extraneous bytes before marker 0xe1 ((data))

Going back to 7.8 works ok but seems that more and more stuff (Spotty
and RP hi-res) work better in 7.9. What could have changed so much from
7.8 to 7.9 that is causing this problem?

Duet + AudioEngine A2 powered speakers, Radio, Touch + Margulles Hybrid
ACRH 1.2 + SA-2 speakers.