I do however have some concern about network storage. Will it be very
much slower than USB3?

There's no USB3 on the Pi. And then it depends on your collection whether transfer performance is even important. I have 20k tracks, the Pi connected to an oldish NAS: scanning this way is actually faster than when running LMS on the NAS itself. It really depends on a lot of factors.

I have a Netgear 5G wi-fi router.

You should not scan over WLAN, though. The server should always be connected over Ethernet. But then again: for a few hundred CDs that might still be good enough.

--

Michael