JohnB wrote:
> Under "Convert/Output Format" you have three options for FLAC:
>
> flac (not compressed)
> flac (medium compression)
> flac (max compression)
>
> What FLAC compression levels do these equate to (e.g. 0, 5, 8)?

I've found the answer to my own question:

_flac_(not_compressed)_
There is no compression level specified in the resulting command: this
means that sox will apply the default compression level. In the  XIPH
FLAC encoder the default compression level is 5 (it is likely, but not
guaranteed, to be the same with sox). To implement this option properly
the compression level should be set as -C 0, which is lower compression,
not no compression.

_flac_(medium_compression)_ = 5

_flac_(max_compression)_ = 8

A couple of points about this:

Assuming that sox flac encoding operates the same way as the official
XIPH FLAC encoder:

Compression level 0 does not mean that there is no compression. The
difference in the actual compression from level "0" to level "8" is not
that great - only achieving an additional approx 5% reduction.

BUT the amount of processing is very different indeed: compression level
"5" takes around 2.5 x the time as level "0".

Compression level "8" takes around 8 x the processing time as level "0".

So I think it might be a good idea to limit the flac options to "low
compression" (-C 0) and "medium compression" (-C 5).

And, of course to implement C -0 for "low compression"

Touch, Meridian G92, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant
Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.