d6jg wrote:
> Yes that is correct. The issue if there is one will be the new WAP
> reconnecting to the WiFi hotspot on demand.
> You may have to keep the new WAP switched off - no affect on anything
> internal but no internet - until you have switched on the hotspot then
> switch on the new WAP.
> Set the Linksys WAN port to get a DHCP assigned address from the
> hotspot.
> Also make sure that the AP built into the Linksys uses a different
> Channel to the new WAP and hotspot.
> You may also need to set the DNS server address in the DHCP part of the
> Linksys if its DNS relay doesn't work correctly - I'd opt for 8.8.8.8
> and 8.8.4.4 (Google's open DNS servers) which should work through the
> hotspot.
> Normally the DHCP in the Linksys will give clients its own address (e.g
> 192.168.1.1) as their DNS server.
>
> EDIT. This will of course mean that the phone running the hotspot won't
> be able to connect to the internal devices but will have internet
> access.
>
> EDIT2. When you have got it all working give the NUC a reserved address
> in DHCP or set it as a static IP outside the DHCP range.

hi, just installed a brand new WAP, TL-WA801ND.
fairly quick setup for Client mode with static IP addr 192.168.1.2.
it connects to mobile hotspot successfully; i can see it listed on the
phone.
its ethernet port is directly connected to the WAN port of Linksys with
WAN connection type set to DHCP and LAN static ip addr 192.168.1.1

of course, all my local LAN connections work as before but
i am not getting to the internet via WAP.
i test this by disabling all wifi connections on my desktop and with
only the LAN wired connection, i can not get to internet.

there are few settings & behaviors i don't understand:
1) on Linksys, its status shows WAN ip addr to be 192.168.1.1 (its LAN
addr) despite the DHCP connection type.
why is this?  shouldn't it get it from the attached WAP?
2) on WAP, i've tried to set its ip setting to what it calls "smart IP
(DHCP)" which i understood that it would be assigned one from the
hotspot.
but that setting didn't seem to help either.

hope you can shed some light...