i understand your doubts and concerns, i had it too. I used "volumio"
before (the same hardware, volumio acts as server and player). All in
all it went well with a maximum of ~20.000 titles. After enhancing the
database, the problems began. So i tried out to use plugins for
"miniDNLA" and "LMS" instead of the volumio buildin server. This
increased the performance dramatically. But i was completely unsatisfied
with the administration-tools available in volumio. Volumio is a nice
gadget for quick&dirty installation for many users with small libraries.
In a forum i heard about picoreplayer and that it is perfect for big
libraries unsing Pi as serbver and player. i began this advenbture
togetherwith my brother, who has nearly the same library and i predicted
that we will need a nas at the end. i started with ~100.000
title->perfect, i doubled the titles->perfect...so i tried out using my
whole library which contains nearly 400.000 titles. First i used the HD
as the cache-location. It went well. Than i tried out a partition on the
the SD-Card (mine is 32GB). I had the feeling that this enhanced the
performance again.
i have two samba shares, one for the sd-partition for backups of the
database (slimserver-directory has ~ 6GB) and one for my 4TB-HD hanging
on the Pi. I have a complete backup on a seperate HD not in use. I also
use LMS on my notebook with the exactly same 400.00 title library.
On the LMS i did not use one main directory for my library, but 12
different directories. So i can push individual manually rescan of these
directories, which seens to be much faster.
So yes, i do the backup-job and synchronisation between notebook- ans
Pi-library manually, but this is no problem using "Total Commander"
which i use since 20 years.
i understand that a NAS brings a lot of benefits (e.g. raid....) and i
often thougt about it, but i never saw the need of using one.  Yo can
believe me, if i tell you, that navigating, seaching etc. is nearly in
realtime, sometimes some seconds but mostly only a fraction of a
second.
It does not matter which tool i use for operating. In most cases i use
just the web-Ui (material skin) as a shortcuton my tablet, but i also
have Squeezer, Orange Squeeze and BubbleUPNP working all well. As a
players i use picoreplayer on my Pi (using an Allo Boss), Squeezelite-X
for the PC and sometimes Chromecast if i want a big screen. It all is
working absolut perfectly as i never have expected. The only thing i
missed, was tehe artwork during navigation in music folders (there are a
lot of media-Databases where this is common) and that was the reason i
started this thread.

kind regards
Nolli