Ok, I can report vastly improved performance following the uninstall and
reinstall of plugins. Start up time is measured in seconds as opposed to
minutes. My system does a full rescan every night and I see that last
night's took 13 minutes working on the following library size:

Total Tracks: 58,899
Total Albums: 1,681
Total Artists: 2,355
Total Genres: 118
Total Playing Time: 6196:50:27

The cycling scanning seems to have stopped but I have turned off the
artist pictures for now. I notice that there was an update to the MAI
plugin which I have installed and I will play around later when the
family aren't wanting some music - they deserve some hassle free
listening time!

I have not been able to reinstall Track Stat as this seems to have
disappeared from the list of plugins (I have reinstalled the licence
manager). I also reinstalled the Remove Played Songs plugin as I use
this a lot. If the log is full of warnings about coding that is
deprecated then so be it. It is not my plugin to mess about with and I
wouldn't know what to do anyway!

Thanks for all your help. I will report back again later.

Steve