bernreddy wrote:
> 1. I've started to consider updating the OS on my ancient ReadyNAS (from
> RAIDiator 4.x to ReadyNAS OS 6.x). My understanding is that this is
> feasible but not officially supported by Netgear, and it requires a full
> wipe of my two NAS volumes (not really a big deal for me, as I just use
> the NAS for backup). But it would see me through my current issues, I
> think.
> 2. I've also started to consider the Raspberry Pi route, to the point
> that over the last few days I've been looking at what would be involved.
> For something like $200 or a little more, I can get: a Raspberry Pi 4
> kit (without USB mouse or keyboard--I have extras) with enclosure, power
> supply, 4GB of RAM (double what my Netgear NAS has), 64GB SD card, and
> HDMI cable; a low-end 2TB portable USB 3 drive; and a USB 3 hub to make
> sure that the drive (and possible future drives) don't overwhelm the
> power supply. The only other thing I would need would be to figure out
> how to make it all work. And if I can figure out how to look at the
> Netgear NAS for music, I wouldn't need the external drive or USB 3 hub.
> 3. I started down this road because my beloved Boom died, and I thought
> I could get an AudioPro Addon C5A to work as an acceptable replacement,
> using the AirPlay bridge. It seems to work at least sometimes using LMS
> on my main Windows desktop. But I don't like to use my main Windows
> machine as a music server, and I couldn't get the AirPlay bridge to work
> on my Netgear with LMS 7.9.1, and trying to see if my AirPlay problem
> would go away with a newer version of LMS...well, you know the rest of
> that story.
>
> You mentioned SSL and https as likely future issues with the old Netgear
> systems (like mine with its current OS). I believe that Netgear's OS6
> supports https in at least some ways (although it has to be enabled).
> For example, See:
> https://kb.netgear.com/23100/How-do-I-configure-HTTPS-HTTP-with-SSL-encryption-settings-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system
> Would ReadyNAS OS 6.x likely be adequate for LMS and its plugins over
> the next several years, permit me to hold off on a switch to something
> else, such as a Raspberry Pi? Or would a current switch to a Raspberry
> Pi seem more sensible even for someone who has used almost no
> command-line interfaces since switching from MS-DOS to Windows circa
> 1993?
>
> Thanks again.

Yes, move to rPi makes lots of sense. As they say, it's a "no-brainer"
piCorePlayer will make using rPi super simple. Easy to install and
update. And way better than a readynas (which I used to have). See:
https://www.picoreplayer.org/main_howto.shtml
https://www.picoreplayer.org/how_to_install_lms.shtml
https://www.picoreplayer.org/

*Home:* VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all
ethernet)
*Cottage:* VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio
w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
*Office:* Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
*The Wild (no internet): *PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry
Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
*Controllers:* iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay
7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
*Files:* ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes;
Streaming: Spotify