I think you have hit the nail on the head. I changed the timeout to 5
minutes from 3 minutes and now the artwork etc changes correctly at the
end of the track I was using for testing. It also explains why if the
following track was also from Spotify then the artwork fell behind when
the local tracks resumed. It does seem that this is exposing a bug in
LMS which can also occur when only local music is played but much less
frequently.

You're saying that the issue could arise when LMS timed out loading a track or something?

That wouldn't explain the case I've seen where it was playing a track which wasn't even shown in the playlist. Have you ever seen this?

--

Michael