From further experiments the artwork falls a track behind after the
first Spotify track in a playlist which is long enough to allow the HDD
to sleep. If another long Spotify track appears later in the playlist
then the artwork does not fall further behind but remains a single track
behind.

That might explain why I've never seen it on my dev system: it's all SSD. But it wouldn't explain why I saw it on my main system (with the "ghost" track), as that's a busy NAS which never puts disks to sleep. That said I've seen slow response times when it's really busy.

The other system OTOH is an old NAS connected to pCP. That one would go to sleep. I'll give that a try for more reproducible results.

--

Michael