I would like the upstairs unit to show up (squeezebox) as the default
player when I go to the web interface...it always defaults to
"picoreplayer", so it seems to be alphabetical... I have tried renaming
the players, but after restarting LMS, it goes back..

The default skin would keep the setting in a cookie. If you don't accept cookies, or have the browser clean them regularly, you'll loose that setting. You can add a player=00:04... parameter to the URL to override the behaviour.

Don't know about Material, but I believe it's similar.

--

Michael