Until yesterday, the update URL pointed to a download page where one had
to select an architecture before downloading.  It now points directly to
a .deb targetted at "all".
Is this change expected?

yes, that change is restoring previous behaviour

 And, since I previously downloaded and
installed the i386 .deb, is it safe and proper to now download and
install the "all"  .deb?

It's safe, but not recommended. You should stick with i386, as that's all you need. The deb flavour would come with the overhead of libraries for x86_64, ARM, and probably even SPARC CPUs.

(I run a web-watching script to make sure I don't miss out on upgrades,
which has happened in the past.  If there's a better place to monitor
than the above URL, I'd be happy to use it instead.)

Use debi386 as the OS string instead of just deb:

https://www.mysqueezebox.com/update/?version=7.9.0&revision=1&geturl=1&os=debi386

That should give you the link to the much smaller file you actually need.
--

Michael