Thanks blackbite, its downloading now hopefully it will work.

Unfortunately I am a total Linux newbie, so have no idea how to check
for the correct permissions.  What doesn't help is that the ouput from
./QLogitechMediaServer.sh keeps outputing weird characters which I think
are meant to produce either colors or move text around inside the
terminal.  I am getting the colors from standard commands so I don't
know why this script is having trouble.

I am connecting to my NAS via windows, and neither telnet or putty seem
to help with these weird codes.  I don't really know anything about
xterm, xterm-256color etc. But from googling, there was a ls... command
to show me what terminal configurations where present and only xterm was
there.