roryking wrote:
> Squeezelite v1.9.1-1139
>
> IO::Socket::SSL: 1.966
>
> OpenSSL 0.9.8zh 14 Jan 2016
>
> MacOS 10.11.6 (last supported OS for that machine)

It looks the main problem is in faad, but a few comments on https
support.
Squeezelite is over a year old and there has been a lot of bug fixes.

The SSL modules are all out of date which means you'll have problem with
LMS repository and internet services - if you use them.  Unlikely to be
able to update the SSL stuff without updating MacOS.

> Good track "Barroom Girls" converted just fine. Bad track "The Way It
> Goes" did not convert at all. Had to Control-c to stop it. The whole
> album "The Harrow & The Harvest" will not play via squeezebox. It's
> unfortunately not the only album I've discovered so far.

So the problem is in either the file content or more unlikely perhaps
the full file name - some strange letter encodings (perhaps of the &)
have caused problems in the past for some applications ?

To check the name copy the file and give it a simple name.

faad is the problem - to fix faad, a copy of a "bad" file needs to be
made available so the problem  (e.g. content format, name handling) can
be fixed .
A workaround might be to use ffmpeg and add a custom-convert.conf to use
faad - do you know if ffmpeg is available for your system ?