mherger wrote:
> > Not a C comment but a the Perl defined OR operator "//"  .  The "//"
> > operator is only supported in Perl 5.10 onwards and not in Perl 5.8
>
> Yep, we introduced an incompatible statement at some place.
>
> Considering the fact that a.) this has gone really long without
> noticing, and b.) SSL on these installations is an issue, I wonder
> whether we should even care... Maybe it's time to say goodbye to Perl
> 5.8 and support for the ReadyNAS devices :-/.

Triode had used one instance of "//" in BBCiPlayer plugin - it took me
ages to find it as it caused weird problems for a NAS user.

I think SSL / TLS has forced an issue that has been brewing for some
time - LMS installation on old unsupported OS/devices. Previously there
was no easy answer but now with Raspberry Pi and PCP - NAS can continue
and a dedicated Pi for LMS can provide decent performance.  It's not an
easy decision but realistic given that https/ SSL support is just going
to make things worse.  Perl 5.8.0 was released in 2002, 5.10 was 2007 -
I think users need to realise how old their systems are - they are
likely to have h/w failure soon as well.