I think the original draw for the piCorePlayer/RPi combo was as a
replacement for aging SqueezeBox hardware, as it was for me when my Classic
2 died. I needed something that could connect to an LMS (which at the time
was running on a Windows desktop across the room) that also had the audio
outs to my stereo, as did my Classic 2. That's where HiFiBerry entered the
picture, first with their add-on card for RCA output, then the Digi+ for
digital/optical out. I have no hesitation recommending them.

I later added a NAS and that allowed me to also use the same RPi as an LMS.
It's small size allows it to sit literally on top of the NAS next to the
DSL router next to my AV Receiver. I cannot do that with a laptop or other
"fullsize" computer.

It works very well. I only occasionally have an issue with DB corruption
that is almost always alleviated by prefs/cache removal and a rebuild. It
then works for months. Another poster to this thread says to check the SD
card I'm using as it may not be optimized for the kind of I/O that LMS
requires (especially since I do rescans each night). That's an easy thing
to "fix" and I'll likely do it the next time the DB issue occurs.

All that said, you are exactly correct that OP was asking about hardware
for LMS server use. I use my piCorePlayer RPi for that purpose, and have
for several years.

--

“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of
human existence.”

― Aristotle