Thanks for the help. Based on your advise I installed the Reliable
plugin. Unfortunately that didn't fix the issues. The problem is that
the behaviour is very inconsistent. However, I'd say it fails in some
way 99% of the time.

A couple of podcasts that show this behaviour:
https://www.relay.fm/mpu/feed
https://appstories.net/episodes/feed/

Usually the problem occurs when selecting the latest episode (the one at
the top of the list). Sometimes it doesn't play at all when clicking the
Play or "Enter" knob (enter being the big dial). Sometimes something
starts playing, but not the correct (selected) episode.

For the record, I rebooted both the server and the Radio many times in
between the several tests.